Fri 12 Oct 2012
If you reached this Balkingpoints.com article by direct external link, stop by the front page for an incredible satellite view of the earth in rotation!
By my estimation. Some may feel that Biden’s strong debate performance
sets him up as the favorite for 2016 Democratic nominee – one prominent Progressive said it last night. But he’ll be 70 next month and 73 during the
2016 campaign. Hillary Clinton by contrast – and she’s resigning as Secretary of State in January & forming her 2016 campaign staff, believe it – will be 68
Ronald Reagan was 73 when he ran in 1984. So it can be done – but you
could see Biden fighting through his aging memory to recite his facts last night. Except for some valuable campaign stops which Joe will work these next 3 weeks, I think we saw his title & final bout last night.
It’s minor, and all good. You need intellectuals who can get in the trenches and prevail when they have to. Biden did it. I’m sure we all saw places where we wanted him to go to a point he missed – such as when Ryan lied about “raised taxes on middle class” and “20 million will lose coverage under Obamacare”.
Here’s what he did hit – mostly on pushbacks of other Paul Ryan garbage:
– Social Security / Medicare. Did some of his best damage of the night. Insisted that Ryan’s Medicare plan was a voucher program no matter how
you cut it, and would put seniors at risk. Even got on the table the GOP’s prized bad idea of privatizing SS retirement accounts. Pointed out how if we’d done that in 2005 – when Bush tried to and Romney endorsed it – tens of millions of retirements would have been wiped out in the stock market crash
Got right in the camera and said “Folks – who do you trust on this? They’ve always opposed SS/Medicare and always tried to do the least on it”. Winner.
– After Ryan railed about the Failed Stimulus That Didn’t Fail, Biden busted him with his requests for stimulus money for his district. Ouch…
– Worked in Sarah Palin / death panels (read “liar”)
– Got Ryan to state that the Romney tax plan is a 20% across board tax cut (read, wealthy), after Mitt categorically denied it in the first Presidential debate. Rookie fumbles, Jim…
– Got in the auto bailout, and Romney’s 47% class bias repeatedly. More winners.
– Reminded everyone of the economy crash underway when Bush left office. Obama isn’t doing that well enough yet. Are you better off than when you were losing 500,000 jobs per month in 2008 and megabanks were failing? …uhm – yes. Duh.
– Kept invoking Romney. That’s what you should do in the VP debate. Romney is the opponent, and Ryan is irrelevant when Romney loses.
Bottom line: Joe knew his job last night and did it. You figure if Obama stands up to Romney’s GOP garbage in a similar fashion, that’s enough to cement wins in most of the swing states / game over. I believe on Tuesday we’ll see Obama not only get on the mat much better for his policies, but take it to Romney on his unprecedented, laughable reversals. Live by the falsehood,
die by the falsehood…